Saturday, July 11, 2009

Irrelevant. And yet...

I still remember the first time I read the Philosopher's Stone. I think I was 7 at the time. More vividly, I remember reading the enormous Order of The Phoenix book when I was in the 4th grade. My classmates, bar four incredibly excited guys and three incredibly excited girls, regarded the book with much puzzlement. I remember the hours we used to argue as to whether it was "SEE-REE-US" Black or "SIRR-EE-US" Black. I remember watching the Chanber of Secrets, and completely ignoring my popcorn and coke. I remember the hours we used to try and figure out whether Snape was the bad guy or not. I recall sobbing when I left my copy of The Prisoner of Azkaban in the rain. I recall jumping when I received the book again, almost two months later. I remember waiting patiently in line for The Goblet of Fire in front of Borders in Singapore at 7:00 am.
More recently, I remember delaying my check-in for a flight to Bangalore because I stood in front of Odyssey at 5:00 am, only to get my book at 8:30 am, and to leave on a flight by 9:45 am.
I remember being called crazy. I remember converting my friends into Potterism in a matter of chapters.
I remember reading about a robber who didn't kill his victim because he saw a copy of the Order of the Phoenix lying around. I remember being called to Harry Potter celebration parties and staying up till about 11:00 pm with friends as we deciphered the Prophecy, and why we all thought that Tom Feton was growing pretty cute as the years went passed by.
I'm sure that I'm not the craziest, hard-core Harry Potter fan there is, and neither do I admit wanting to be. Everyone says that the reason Harry Potter is popular is because we can relate to the characters.
This is entirely false. We can't relate to boys that say spells and defeat evil wizards. We can't relate to flying on broomsticks.
But, I suppose, the best part about Harry Potter, is that it makes you believe you AREN'T normal. Makes you believe that you have special powers, and a considerably cooler destiny.
It makes you believe.

No comments: